How white can your teeth become?
How white your teeth can become from bleaching and
whitening is a common question with a very subjective answer. Some whitening procedures
claim they can whiten your teeth by up to nine shades, but that is highly unlikely. Just a
change of two or three shades will make a significant difference in just about anyone's
smile. There is no one standard system in the dental field to measure and determine tooth
color. The most often heard about, however, is the Vita shade guide. This guide divides
tooth color into four basic shade ranges:
A (reddish brown)
B (reddish yellow)
D (reddish gray).
In the A range there are five levels of darkness. Ranges B, C and D, each have four levels.
Not all of your teeth are the same natural color. Usually your eye teeth tend to be darker than the others, your front teeth are typically the whitest, and molars tend to be a shade between the two. The goal for everyone is to achieve their individual optimum whiteness while still looking natural. During your first consultation for tooth whitening, your dentist will go over what you personally can expect for your specific smile. How white teeth will become from a given procedure will vary from person to person. The structure of your teeth and the type of procedure implemented will affect the outcome.
The following chart will give you some idea of how to compare the two most popular methods for tooth whitening. As everyone's circumstances are different, both options should be further discussed with your cosmetic dentist prior to making a decision.
|Procedure||Usually Lasts For:||May Cause During and Shortly After Procedure:||Time for Procedure:||Changes in Shade:||Average Cost:|
|Gel/Tray||4 - 12 Months||Sensitive Gums/Teeth||50 Hours||4 - 5||$ 400|
|Laser||12 - 18 Months||Minor Discomfort||2 - 3 Hours||7 - 8||$ 1,000.|
|BriteSmile||12 - 18 Months||Minor Discomfort||2 Hours||8+||$ 600.|
- Introduction to teeth whitening section
- How white can your teeth become?
- What causes your teeth to become discolored?
- Procedure description: Teeth whitening
- Typical cost of teeth whitening procedures
- Types of teeth whitening available
- The tray bleaching procedure to whiten your teeth
- How much does tray teeth bleaching cost?
- Laser teeth whitening
- How much does laser teeth whitening cost?
- Pros & cons of whitening your teeth
- Before and after photos - teeth whitening
- Personal experiences of teeth whitening patients
- Discuss teeth whitening in our discussion area