Cosmetic Gum Surgery
What is cosmetic gum surgery?
Your gum tissue is like a frame that provides form and shape to the top of your tooth. A less than attractive smile results when the integrity of the gum is compromised or the actual gum between your teeth becomes weak. Usually due to poor hygiene (gum disease), you actually begin to lose gum tissue. Cosmetic dentistry provides many cosmetic solutions such as composite resin bonding, crowns, and veneers to create a great smile. These solutions are usually part of an overall strategy which may involve cosmetic gum surgery. Used to correct a 'gummy smile' (a significant portion of your gum is exposed when you smile), cosmetic gum surgery is the procedure of lengthening your teeth from the neck of the tooth upwards. Your teeth then appear to be longer and much less gum is seen when you smile.
The "Long in the Tooth" Smile - Cosmetic gum surgery, or periodontal plastic surgery, can correct almost any deformity or gingival problems preventing you from a beautiful smile. As we age, our gums may shrink and recede which makes our teeth look longer. While this is often age-related, it can also occur due to a bad bite. A cosmetic dentist or a periodontist can correct this to such an extent, that you'll have a very youthful appearing smile.
The "Gummy Smile" - This is a problem where your teeth appear to be too short. Gum sculpting is often the solution. To solve this, a dentist uses a laser to remove the excess tissue of your "gummy" smile, which then exposes more of your tooth.
- Introduction to cosmetic gum surgery
- Gum surgery - an overview
- Who is a candidate for gum surgery?
- Gum surgery - Procedure description
- Types of cosmetic gum surgery procedures
- Procedure to correct a "gummy smile"
- Procedure to correct a "long tooth smile"
- Cost of cosmetic gum surgery
- Advantages and disadvantages of cosmetic gum surgery
- Gum surgery - Before and after photos
- Personal stories from people who have had cosmetic gum surgery
- Discuss gum surgery on the dentistry message board
A guide to cosmetic gum surgery.